Monday 25 March 2013

Memoirs of a pregnant woman (Series 1)


Memoirs of a pregnant lady

 by Yinka Ayodeji


It was the 11th day of the month of September. I woke up feeling weak but had to dress for work. On entering my client's office, the secretary asked if all was well with me because I wasn’t looking too good. There and then I knew something was definitely wrong with me. I immediately took a pregnancy test on getting home, which came out positive. I thought back and tried to think which one ‘clicked’.  Then I figured out that it must have been the night of his birthday. It was just too special and magical for it not to have resulted into this, months after *winks*. I was not exactly happy about it though, as I was not ready for the second baby. I work with a telecommunication company, working round the clock and caring for two kids. “I don’t think I would be able to handle it just yet”, I thought. My husband did a lot of talking trying to convince me on how the pregnancy was a blessing.

The first trimester was the most difficult for me as I had anticipated. It came along with nausea, vomiting, lack of appetite and restlessness. Many times I missed work because i was always too tired to get up from the bed in the morning. However, I carried on through the period with the help of my hubby. He did everything to ensure I was okay. Despite being a very bad cook, he always had the right recipe for a PEPPERED Indomie. He always took me to this joint to eat Nkwobi, Fish and chips and pepper soup. This was because I had this ‘funny disorder’ of being unable to eat anything I cooked.

Soon, the first trimester went by and the second and the third which was the most exciting period, as I always felt the kicks of my baby. The baby kicks kept me going and anxious for the D-day. My first child began to wonder at my protruding belly. “Mom is too full”, she thought at first. And it was so amazing that, the belly became her favorite place to lie on. But after I explained to her that a baby inside was the reason for the protrusion, she became so attached to it, always wanting to kiss my belly every morning. “My baby is hungry”, she would say most of the time and would give me whatever she was eating at the time, to give the baby.

And finally, it was the most awaited day. On the 3rd of May at about 1am, I started feeling uneasy. I stayed up till morning doing different house chores all through to get my mind off it. At about 6am, my hubby asked if he could drop me at the clinic I declined as I didn't want to go too early. He left for work while I stayed at home and kept pacing about the house. At about 1pm, and for the safety of the baby, I decided to go to the clinic as the contraction had gotten intense.
 When I got to the clinic, my doctor did a check on me and diagnosed that i was already in labor and 4cm gone! He immediately ordered my admission. My husband came in at about 7pm that day; we were together while my progress was continually checked upon by my doctor.
Several hours went by and still the baby was not forthcoming, and this raised a lot of anxiety for me and my husband. This continued into the next day and then at at 2 p.m on the 4th of May, I gave up trying to endure the pains and opted for a Caesarian section. I was moved into the theater at 12:30pm and at 1pm; my bundle of joy was out!

My baby Oluwatamilore Afolashade Ayodeji was 3.7kg at birth which explains why I couldn't bring her forth by myself. My pain was erased, upon setting sight on the smiles of my angel. It was the most wonderful feeling, being a mom of two beautiful girls and a wife to the most wonderful man.

Watch out for more series of memoirs of a pregnant lady...

If you would love to share your memoir with us;
Send your story to:
loveoasismag@gmail.com
Facebook: Loveoasis magazine 
Twitter: @loveoasis_mag  

Getting married or know anyone who is; Contact us to have an exclusive edition of LoveOasis magazine.

LoveOasis magazine
Celebrating eternal love.....  

1 comment: